Clean Energy Regulator data shows that over 2.68 million rooftop solar power systems have been installed on Australian homes — and in 2022, just under 50,000 solar battery systems were installed — which is a 55% increase from 2021. Australia has the highest uptake of solar, globally — and the numbers are only expected to go up.
Solar power systems are nothing without solar battery systems — solar batteries absorb excess energy generated by solar panels and store it for use later, either on or off the grid, allowing systems with solar energy to tap into the unlimited power of the sun.
With an ongoing interest in switching to solar power, installing solar battery systems is one of the most profitable careers in 2023 and beyond. But how can you get started installing solar battery systems as a career? That’s what the Electro Training Institute is here to help you with. In this article, we’ll take you through how to become an accredited solar battery system installer.
What are Solar Battery Systems?
Solar battery systems are essentially storage systems. They take the excess energy generated by solar photovoltaic (PV) panels and arrays and store them for later use, ensuring that the solar system provides a continuous and sustainable power supply. Many people with solar arrays choose to get solar battery systems installed to enhance their energy independence and efficiency and reduce their reliance on the grid.
Become a Solar Battery Installer
To install solar battery systems, you must first undertake solar training and become a certified solar electrician. While electricians without solar accreditation from the Clean Energy Council (CEC) may be able to install solar systems, they cannot claim rebates and cannot request a connection to the grid. Undertaking solar training is important to reduce risk, adhere to guidelines, and design and install the most efficient and safe solar battery systems.
Completing the solar battery installation course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain two forms of CEC accreditation: Grid-Connect Battery Storage Design and Grid-Connect Battery Storage Install, allowing you to:
- Plan and design battery storage systems for grid-connected photovoltaic systems
- Document the design specifications for battery storage systems
- Execute the complete installation, maintenance, and repairs for grid-connected PV solar battery systems
Learn How to Install a Solar Battery System with Electro Training
During Electro Training’s solar battery storage course, you’ll learn to design, install, maintain, and fault-find battery storage systems for grid-connected photovoltaic systems. Soak up knowledge from experienced trainers and get hands-on experience in one of the most lucrative offshoots of the electrical field for the foreseeable future: solar. Here are some of the most important topics you’ll need to become knowledgeable in:
- Workplace health and safety protocols
- Solar system configurations and the function of solar batteries in various contexts
- Battery characteristics and technologies
- Selecting and sizing loads for efficient battery storage
- Sizing and aligning the solar PV array capacity with battery storage requirements
- The role of solar controllers in managing energy flow between solar panels, batteries, and the grid
- How inverters convert DC power to AC power and how to program them
- How battery storage impacts the system's efficiency and the yield of your PV system
- System wiring, reliability, and optimisation
- The full step-by-step process of installing solar battery systems, from setting up the hardware to finalising connections.
Whether you’re installing the solar battery system for a client or for yourself, it’s essential to test the system to ensure its effectiveness and safety and to obtain any necessary permits or approvals from the local authorities or utility company. Many solar battery systems come with monitoring software, allowing you to track energy usage and battery status.
Installing solar battery systems is a rewarding endeavour and an even more rewarding career. Taking a solar battery installation course will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills — and qualify you across Australia as an accredited solar installer — to complete your solar battery installations effectively and professionally.
The training you’ll receive at Electro Training comes from genuine industry expertise. Our trainers collaborate with solar battery brands such as LG Chem, Tesla, Sungrow, PowerPlus Energy, Selectronic, and Sonnen, to provide you with real-world applications and insights into the solar industry’s evolving landscape. Become a certified solar electrician and learn how to install solar batteries — with the Electro Training Institute.